Many students do more work than homework

Catie Peterson

Senior Shannon Olander, “Explorer” photo editor, shows off her skills at her job working for Perkins. Although Olander receives payment for her hard work, jobs add unnecessary stress to already busy schedules. Many students find summer jobs to be an easy alternative to working during the school year. Students looking for summer jobs should consider starting their search early, since many returning college students’ classes end before HHS’s, and they tend to receive the jobs first.
 
Lauren Havel/The Explorer
 
The chart represents a survey taken of 152 Hudson High School students about their job status. The results revealed 43 percent of students have a job, while the remaining 57 percent do not. 

Catie Peterson/The Explorer
 
  Wake up. Go to school. Go home. Do some homework. Sleep. That pretty much sums up the average day for a student at Hudson High School, but imagine adding one more thing to that list—a job. According to a recent survey of 156 students, 43 percent of them have an after-school job.
     And why do students get jobs? Most of the surveyed students who said they had a job stated that they needed to fill their wallets, 59 percent to be exact. 
    According to Nate Smith, a senior who works at the Blue Rock Café and the Rosewood Grille, “[I got a job because] I needed money. That’s about it.”
     With the changing economy, many more students have to carry some of the weight of the family−paying for college, cars, food, etc.
    According to Margret Gagel, a senior who works at Panera Bread in Hudson, “I needed [a job] for a while to pay for what I needed to pay for and be less dependent on my family.”
    Besides getting cash, there are also some other benefits of working. The two seniors are meeting new people and making new friends. 
    “I like the people I work with,” says Gagel. 
    Now, getting a job isn’t always a bed of roses. Sometimes the hours and the pace of a job can become very stressful. 
    “I hate the hours of my job,” says Smith. “Sometimes my shifts are from 3 p.m. to 1 a.m.” 
     As for the other 57 percent of students without jobs (many of them freshmen), 31 percent of them said the reason for their unemployment was because they are too young. In addition, 24 percent said that sports are keeping them from getting a job.
    Now, for those who are on the prowl for a job, listen to these words of wisdom− “Don’t waste your time looking for [your] dream job,” says Gagel, “and apply for jobs that you think you could get.”
     And if you are looking for a summer job, start looking now. Once the college students come back, they will be your competition. Keep in mind that from the day that you get hired, it does take a couple of weeks to actually start your first day.  You can also tell your interviewer that you cannot start until a certain date.     
     But, what if you’re not 16 until mid-summer? (Most employers do not hire until you are 16 because of labor laws.) Still fill out applications after your birthday. Employers are always looking for new employees, especially in the busy summer months. 
    Now, where should you look? “Look for places where your friends or people you know work,” says Elizabeth Poston, a junior who works at Acme Fresh Market. “It usually makes [your job] easier.”
 
    Also, don’t expect to get paid much more than minimum wage; after all, this is your first job.

 

6

2012-04-27 15:00:23

Image

Image